While some JMIR journals are free (see Which JMIR journals are currently free to publish in?) and while we do offer waivers/discounts in exceptional cases, most JMIR journals have - as the majority of quality open access journals - fees (see also Are there costs involved in publishing in JMIR journals, what are your fees?).
We actually have detailed data on how authors cover the costs of open access publishing from over 1,000 respondents who submitted a paper to a JMIR journal and filled in the post-submission author survey. The following shows the results as of April 2017:
Most authors (44.8%) pay these costs from their grant money, from the same line item in a grant from which they would for example pay conference travel and fees. Some other authors have some grants or institutional funding for educational activities or conferences (20.9%). Some universities, institutions or departments have institutional membership arrangements with JMIR Publications, in which case the APF can be waived (14.5%). Other institutions may have institutional open access funds, for example the signatories of the Compact for Open Access Equity (13.3%). Some others have slush or reserve funds (8.7%) or take the money from somewhere else (9.4%).
Note that authors can split the APF for a payment (see Can multiple authors split a payment?) so there may be a mix of the above for any certain article.
- How to become an author at JMIR
- Are there costs involved in publishing in JMIR journals, what are your fees?
- Why is JMIR Publications a "leading publisher"?
- How does the Article Processing Fee (APF/APC) at JMIR compare to other journals/publishers?
- I don't have any grant money - how can I publish in JMIR?
- Which JMIR journals are currently free to publish in?
- My grant funding is expiring/ending soon - can I pay the APF/APC before the article is accepted?
- JMIR Instructions for Authors: Open Access - Rationale for Charging Fees
- JMIR Fee Schedule on the JMIR website, listing APFs per journal
- Fees FAQ in JMIR Knowledge Base / Help Center