It is important to understand that Multimedia Appendices must be uploaded as supplementary files in a separate section of the manuscript management system – do NOT simply send them as email attachments or upload them as manuscript file.
1. Before uploading your appendix, you are encouraged to add a reference to the full JMIR paper to the appendix. This enables somebody who finds the Appendix through a search engine to identify and correctly cite the full paper. Suggested wording is for example a line like “This is a Multimedia Appendix to a full manuscript published in the J Med Internet Res, for full copyright and citation information see http://dx.doi.org/10.2196/jmir.xxxx” (where xxxx is your JMIR manuscript number – e.g. http://dx.doi.org/10.2196/jmir.931 - note that this link only works after publication of your ms). Do NOT include the Multimedia Appendix number in the document itself, e.g. the title of your document can be “Multimedia Appendix”, but should not be ““Multimedia Appendix 1”, “Multimedia Appendix 2” etc.
2. You can for example upload PPT (Powerpoint) or PDF files (Adobe Acrobat). PDF files are preferred over WinWord Documents, in particular if it is certain that the document does not require any editing (e.g. – if possible, please convert your .doc file into .pdf before uploading.
3. Go to the summary tab of your submission (http://www.jmir.org/editor/submission/xxxx, where xxxx is your manuscript number)
4. Click the “ADD A SUPPLEMENTARY FILE” link (4th line from the top under the “Submission” heading)
5. You should see the supplementary file upload form at http://www.jmir.org/author/addSuppFile/xxxx containing various fields to enter (optional) metadata. The most important (and only required) field is the title field (enter something like “Multimedia Appendix 1: #Title of Appendix#”, where #Title of Appendix# is your Appendix title.
6. Adding references to each Appendix in your manuscript (e.g. "The instrument can be found in Multimedia Appendix 1") is your responsibility, as the copyeditor has no access to your uploaded appendices and also wouldn’t know which ones are intended for publication. It is therefore important that (at the copyediting stage at the latest) your manuscript contains a reference to your multimedia appendices.
Mandatory Multimedia Appendices:
- Randomized controlled trial usually should have the CONSORT-EHEALTH Checklist as PDF file (see CONSORT-EHEALTH for Randomized Controlled Trials)
- Funded protocols or grant proposals should usually have the peer-review reports of the funding agency included, see When is a grant proposal or protocol eligible for the 50% discount on the APF?
During typesetting, the Multimedia Appendices will be inserted before the references and look like this:
Multimedia Appendix 1
Sample screenshots of the interactive website
[PPT file (MS Powerpoint), 3 MB]
Multimedia Appendix 2
[PDF file (Adobe Acrobat), 124 kB]
- What are the guidelines for supplementary files (figures, Multimedia Appendix, additional material for reviewers/editors only)?