The APF = Article Processing Fee (= Article Processing Charge or APC) is payable on acceptance to cover the costs of peer-review, editing, copyediting, production, dissemination and archiving of an article. Because JMIR articles are all open access (published under a Creative Commons license), this is the only way for us as publisher to recover our costs. Authors typically pay the APF from their research grants or other discretionary funds they use for example to travel to conferences.
- How to become an author at JMIR
- How does the Article Processing Fee (APF/APC) at JMIR compare to other journals/publishers?
- I don't have any grant money - how can I publish in JMIR?
- JMIR Instructions for Authors: Open Access - Rationale for Charging Fees
- JMIR Fee Schedule on the JMIR website, listing APFs per journal