Each author usually has at least one or multiple affiliations, which the corresponding/submitting author can edit in the Metadata Form (see How to edit/correct author metadata).
Screenshot A shows how an affiliation is entered into the metadata form:
Screenshot B shows how affiliations are rendered in the final publication as footnotes:
- Please ensure that the units within each affiliation are in hierarchical order from smallest to largest.
- Eg, enter the department name first, then the university name
- Organizations that are not administratively linked must be listed as separate affiliations.
- If authors have multiple affiliations, all affiliations must be entered (as separate entries). This includes multiple departments within the same university/institution/.
- Do not use short forms or acronyms. Do not abbreviate "Dep." or "Dept.".
- An affiliation like "Nursing" should be changed into "Department of Nursing", and acronyms like "UHN" should be expanded to "University Health Network".
- Affiliations are usually in title case (which means that all words except minor words like "of" or "on" are capitalized. Do not enter information in ALL CAPS or all lower case.
- "Department of Nursing" = correct
- "department of nursing" = incorrect