If your paper is already submitted, the submitting author can go to the author homepage and click the manuscript title.
On the summary tab, scroll down and find the "Edit Metadata" link under the "Submission Metadata" heading.
Click on "Edit Metadata" to reveal the metadata form which has an "authors" section, which can be edited.
To add an author, the corresponding author does the following in step 2 of the submission process, or (after submission) edits the metadata form as follows:
- Scroll down to the bottom of the last author, just before the Title and Abstract heading.
- Locate the grey button labelled as “Add an author” on the left, just above the Title and Abstract heading.
- Click the button to add an author and from there you can enter the author details (Author Information and Affiliation Information). Please also ask the coauthor for his/her ORCID and enter it (What is an ORCID?)
- Remember to Save each author before leaving the page or you will lose the entered information and have to add the Author again.
Important: If one or more authors are added after the first round of peer-review that were previously not listed as authors, then we will have to follow the COPE process outlined in this flowchart, meaning that a letter signed by all original authors is required, stating the reason for the change, and stating that all authors agree on the addition and the new authorship order.
Please upload this letter as supplementary file. See also How to change (add/drop) authors after peer-review but before publication
- Corresponding author requests addition of extra author before publication [PDF, 128KB]
- Corresponding author requests removal of author before publication [PDF, 134KB]
- In the submission/metadata form, why is the button 'Save non-author Metadata' disabled?
- What is an ORCID?
- How to change (add/drop) authors after peer-review but before publication