We are pleased to say that since June 2017, all JMIR preprints (including all submissions to JMIR journals where author opt in to open peer-review) now get a DOI assigned, which facilitates citation of the preprint.
A preprint is the initial author manuscript, as submitted to a JMIR journal or to JMIR Preprints directly (see What are JMIR Preprints?).
- The DOI is simply 10.2196/preprints.XXXX, where XXXX is the manuscript ID (see submission confirmation email).
- The URL linking to a landing page with the abstract and potentially a download option for the preprint is preprints.jmir.org/preprint/XXXX and the DOI handle URL is doi.org/10.2196/preprints.XXXX (which is simply redirected to the former URL).
- During the peer-review period, the preprints site will show a button for potential peer-reviewers.
- This button will no longer be visible once the initial decision has been made.
- Once a submission is accepted and a final paper is published (the "version of record" or VOR), the landing page for the preprint will show a link to the VOR.
Authors can control who has access to the preprint as follows (for the time being, file a ticket with firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to change the default behavior):