We are pleased to say that since June 2017, all JMIR preprints (including all submissions to JMIR journals where author opt in to open peer-review) now get a DOI assigned, which facilitates citation of the preprint.
A preprint is the initial author manuscript, as submitted to a JMIR journal or to JMIR Preprints directly (see What are JMIR Preprints?).
- The DOI is simply 10.2196/preprints.XXXX, where XXXX is the manuscript ID (see submission confirmation email).
- The URL linking to a landing page with the abstract and potentially a download option for the preprint is preprints.jmir.org/preprint/XXXX and the DOI handle URL is doi.org/10.2196/preprints.XXXX (which is simply redirected to the former URL).
- During the peer-review period, the preprints site will show a button for potential peer-reviewers.
- This button will no longer be visible once the initial decision has been made.
- Once a submission is accepted and a final paper is published (the "version of record" or VOR), the landing page for the preprint will show a link to the VOR.
Authors can control who has access to the preprint on submission of a new article as follows (for the time being, file a ticket with email@example.com if you wish to change the default behavior):
1. Allow access to Preprints when not published (under review or accepted) for
|(a) Open peer-review purposes. Access for logged-in Reviewers only, only during a fixed peer-review period (ending with a editorial decision). After the peer-review period we just show the abstract and a link to the VoR (published version of record), if known.|
|(b) Logged-in Users only, also after the peer-review period and after the initial and final decision.|
|(c) Anybody, anytime; unless published and 2b is selected (recommended).|
|(d) Nobody. Abstract is not posted and submission will not get a preprint DOI.|
2. When a final version is published in a JMIR journal
|(a) Add a link to the VoR, but still allow downloading the Preprint.|
|(b) Just show the abstract of the preprint and a link to the VoR but no longer allow downloading the Preprint.|